Tuesday, July 19, 2011

On-Campus Day and Etruria: Kevin Wang


Day 4- July 18

Today, we stayed at campus, which meant that there was going to be much more time for relaxation, right? Not really. Instead, we had 3 hours of lecture (translations) and 1 hour of grammar. Additionally, I woke up at 10:30, having missed the ring of 3 alarms that I had set. I found out that I had been placed in an advanced class along with 4 other people, though! I was so glad that I could be in class with people of the same level. Dr. Maurer, my temporary teacher, is also superb. He digresses way too much, though. But I guess that’s what makes a good teacher. A walking stick with a farmer’s hat and a loose shirt, he is a harbor of knowledge that I have the privilege of sailing into everyday- and which I find very hard to leave.

We also came up with a name for my roommate, Sebastian. Because he makes a lot of sassy jokes, we have named him the “Sass master.” He consented to the name.


Left: View from my window

Right: Library





Day 5- July 19

I finally woke up on time today! I heard my alarm sound, so I guess I’ve gotten over the jet-lag. We went to the Cerveteri tombs today. These tombs, built by ancient Etruscans, had amazing designs, and some had complex passageways that seemed to be a century after their times. We then set out to the Museo di Tarquinia in former Etruria. It housed remains of the Etrurian civilization, but personally I found the multitude of pottery and stones drab after staring at them for over an hour. I exchanged my first euros today as well, enabling myself to buy a cup of hazelnut and caffe (coffee) gelato.

Afterwards, we headed to the Italian beach! I had my first experience with body surfing today, and was so intrigued and preoccupied with this newly gained skill that I didn’t eat my sack lunch until 3:30, when we left. I learned body surfing from Dakota, whom I’ve been hanging out a lot with recently. It’s pretty hard to master, since you have to “ride the wave” at exactly the right moment, when the wave reaches its peak but doesn’t fall over yet. I had to practice a lot. Consequently, I was exhausted by the time I got back to campus and suffered sleepily through the lectures.

No comments:

Post a Comment