Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Aventine Hill and Teatro Marcello: Kevin Wang

Day 3- July 17

We first headed to the Circus Maximus for a glimpse. Even though the track was in ruins and looked only like a dirt running track, I could still feel the intensity and rumble of the chariot races and the excitement that would have pervaded the area in ancient Rome. I then saw the Basilica Sabina, which housed the door with the earliest depiction of the crucifixion. Right next door was a keyhole through which I could see the Basilica of St. Peter.

After a little tourism, we stopped at a beautiful view of Rome from the Aventine Hill, where Hercules was said to have slain Colchis. There we stopped to read Latin as well. Pulling out some Livy, we translated a passage describing Romulus, Remus, and the auspices. It was here that Remus is said to have seen his six vultures before Romulus saw his twelve vultures from the Palatine hill.




Beautiful view from the Aventine





Next awaited the Temples of Hercules and Portacus. We then walked down to the Tiber River and saw a bridge built by Lucius Fabricius. I learned today that the holes in the walls of the buildings were made when Romans took material from structures to create new structures- recycling Rome. Our last destination was the Teatro Marcello and Apollo’s Temple nearby. The theater was also used as a fortress. Close by was the Memorial to Vittorio Emmanuel, a horse standing on top of a “wedding cake,” a huge slab of white stone. We stopped for gelato, but I was broke and had no euros, so I bore the pain of watching everyone else in envy.




The Teatro Marcello





After returning to campus, I spent the afternoon translating Suetonius and Livy with some friends under a canopy on the edge of campus. I then attended a grammar session on participles taught by Dr. Sweet. It was there that I discovered that I had gotten a B+ on my Diagnostic Test, which did not factor into my grade, and an A on the Verb quiz.

For dinner, I had some “corkscrew” pasta bathed in a delicious pesto sauce. Afterwards, a lecture was given in which I translated a passage of the murder of Caesar and one on the murder of Cicero. Dr. Sweet gave very intriguing discussions on the origins of words and generally typography, dictation, and etymology. Tomorrow will be a day on campus, so hopefully I will have time to study more Latin outside of classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment