Thursday, August 16, 2018

Nick Nola Germany 2018

Germany/Austria Trip

Overview

My time in Germany was one of exploration, of friendship making, of enhancing my skills in the German language, and of differentiating cultures and traditions from one side of the globe to the other. An experience unlike any other, I often reflect on my endeavors I had in Germany by telling stories to those genuinely interested in learning all about Germany.

Arrival and Plane Ride to Germany:

We initially met Herr Dougherty at the Nashville airport, as he bid us farewell. We took took two plane rides, one to Toronto, and the other to Frankfurt. As I exited the plane after the strenuous 8 hour ride to Frankfurt, the feeling in my stomach was indescribable. I realized that I was on the other side of the world in a place which I had only learned about at school. The Frankfurt airport was so outstanding it had the ability to make me feel small. The multitude of people hurriedly walking and running through gates and terminals reminded me of America, yet it had a completely different feeling, knowing they spoke a language seldom spoken in America. Walking down the plethora of escalators to meet my host family, hearing German was surreal, because I accomplished to understand a simple conversation among business men, although I wasn’t apart of it. I finally saw Julien, who is my host brother, and his parents shortly after retrieving my baggage, and all the fear and the butterflies in my stomach diminished. We started with simple greetings, saying the usual, “Wie geht’s? (How are you?)” and “Wie war das Flugzeug? (How was the plane?)” but then transcended into much more complex conversations as we separated from the other host families and made our way to the car. Before we got into the car, there was a last set of escalators in which we had to climb. I was on the left side of the escalator, but my host parents and Julien were on the right side. Julien told me midway up the escalators to get to the right side, because it was a customary and useful way to let people who are in a time crunch get to the left side and run up the escalator. Exiting the airport heading to the car, I immediately saw the unique architecture and stylistic designs belonging to German culture.
Frankfurt airport after arrival

Wiesbaden

After getting situated at their home, we went to a local restaurant and ate a schnitzel, one of the finest cuisines of the German culture. When I asked for water, they handed me water that was carbonated, and it turns out that people have to ask to have water without carbonation. After dinner, I immediately fell asleep because of the jet lag. The next day, we had school, and there I met many of Juliens' friends and classmates. We had many of the same classes in America, except instead of 5 classes like at MBA, they took a total of 15, spread out throughout the week. Their grading system was also unlike anything else. They graded homework, tests, and quizzes out of 15 points. and one needs simply a 5 to pass. On the contrary, there are many similarities between American and German schools, such as class size, time for each period, number of classes each day, and subjects for classes. After school on Mondays, Julien trained others and helped kids swim. During the days he didn't have training, we walked around the city, and Julien showed me the important artifacts and statues the people of Wiesbaden recommend sightseeing. We saw the largest grandfather clock of all time, located in the heart of Wiesbaden; the town hall, where all important business meetings take place; and the castle, where local residents now throw parties and festivals. Another important distinction is the emphasis on renewable energy. Within a 2 mile radius of Julien's house, there were around 30 windmills that generated energy. Julien and I walked up to the closest one to his house, and I was astonished because of the stature and commonality of these windmills.
Windmill outside Julien's house


Castles

Throughout the three weeks I stayed with Julien, we traveled to lots of castles, many of which resided in the countryside. For example, there was a castle residing on top of a hill near the small village of Bad Ems, and at the bottom of the castle looking up, the top couldn’t be seen, as the walls of the castle seemed endless. We toured another castle in Nassau which was important because of the brilliant defensive structure and flawless design. The scenery on top of the castle looking out onto the wine valleys below was breathtaking, and instilled a sense of peace within me. Touring through the castles, we saw ancient artifacts, existing around the same time period of the castle, such as swords, armor, helmets, and tools important for blacksmiths.
Bad Ems Hotel/Museum
View from the top of castle in Nassau
Side View

Trier


On one Saturday, Julien and his host family surprised me in taking me to Trier, the oldest city in Germany. As we arrived, we saw a castle-like structure that was destroyed from WWII. While there, we walked through the streets, and had Italian pizza, which tasted completely different from such in America. While walking through the streets hereafter, we noticed a large crowd huddled around one statue. It turned out that Karl Marx, born in this city, had a statue, which was erected only a year ago and has created international controversy.
Half destroyed ancient Roman structure
Renovated church that was once one of the oldest in the entirety of Germany

Luxembourg

Around two hours away by car, Luxembourg was an afterthought when I first arrived in Frankfurt, however, Julien and his parents wanted me to see this city since the day I arrived. After arriving, I instantly noticed a change in culture and lifestyle. People were speaking French, German, Luxembourgish, and even English. On the specific day I went, there were bands parading the street, with many tourists perplexed at this unusual sight. The architecture, specifically the government buildings, had a very unique style, unlike any German city. There were also guards protecting the capitol building, equipped with large assault rifles. This small country was one of my favorites because of its large significance, although its stature.
Luxembourgisch street dancers

Guard
View from large bridge 

Munich

After spending three weeks with Julien and his parents, we met with Herr Dougherty and immediantly took a train to Munich. We first ate dinner, and Herr recommended that we try Schweinhaxe, which is a roasted ham hock. It was one of the best meals of the trip. During our time in Munich, we toured the BMW Museum, which showcased some of the most luxurious cars BMW has ever produced. We then went to Allianz Arena, home of Bayern Munich. Although I'm not much of a soccer fan, the size of the arena and the stories awed me. On another day, we visited Dachau, oneof the many concentration camps the Nazis used for political prisoners, and it made me reflect on the horrors of WWII. Munich was by far my favorite German city of the whole trip.
Munich Dom
BMW i8 from BMW Museum 


Allianz Arena from the field

Vienna, Austria


The last but best part of the trip was travelling to Vienna, Austria. Upon arrival, we toured St. Stephan Cathedral, which was one of the most unique churches that displayed extroadinary art. Whilewalking along the street, we saw ancient Roman ruins still preserved, in the heart of the city. Statues of infamous figures of European history littered the street, and we took an audio tour of the castle in which Joseph II and Marie Antionette lived and held important meetings on behalf of the Holy Roman Empire. The focal point of the trip, and one of the best meals I've ever eaten, was the schnitzel, and the place we went to was the site of the very first schnitzel. On one of our last days in Vienna, we visited many art museums, like the Belvedere and the Leopold Museum. It displayed some of the most popular artworks from Austrian artists, and there were multitudes of people crowding around some of the most famous paintings. Austria was, in my opinion, my favorite city of the whole trip. 
View from inside the Cathedral
Ancient Roman remains in the middle of a busy Austrian street
Statue of Goethe in Vienna
Authentic Schnitzel
Belvedere from the garden
Wiener Reisenrad (Vienna Ferris Wheel)

Reflections/Special Thanks

Leaving Germany was surreal, because I had made many friends that I likely would never see again. Igot to see firsthand the differences in culture, tradition, manners, and lifestyles between Germany andAustria, and my understanding of the German language facilitated my realization of how natives think and act towards others. The kindness and genuine concern for others by the Germans taught me that Germany was a country of people with open arms. My communication with Julien, his parents, his classmates, and his teachers also significantly improved my German speaking ability. 

For this outstanding opportunity, I first and foremost want to thank Herr Dougherty and Mr. Paolicci. For the hospitality, cornucopia of food, and showing me German culture and traditions firsthand, I want to thank Julien and his family. Lastly, I want to extend my sincerest thanks to the Wilson family forultimately giving me the chance to experience this once in a lifetime trip. Without their help, this wouldn't have been possible. I strongly suggest those interested in travelling to Germany to apply.



No comments:

Post a Comment