Monday, August 24, 2015

D'On Coofer: Colombia

On May 23, 2015, I considered myself blessed to have the opportunity to wake up in one country, The United States of America and to go to sleep in another, Colombia. I had so much excitement for this trip that I could not go to sleep the night before the flight. The good thing for me was that the flight was very early in the morning, so I did not have to stay up without sleep for a long time. Before the trip, Montgomery Owen, Andy Zhu, Warner Lamar, and I all connected and began speaking with our host families. My mother and I skyped my host family soon after we knew their information. From the first time of many that my mother and I skyped my future host family, we fell in love with them. Although my mother was nervous that I would not only be away from her where she could not physically see me for 3 weeks, but I would also be on another continent, it made her feel a lot better being able to skype my host family. The relationship that grew between our two families was vital.
Macintosh HD:Users:sheenacoofer:Pictures:iPhoto Library:Previews:2015:06:16:20150616-101359:DSC_2532.JPG
Mr. Calico, Montgomery Owen, Andy Zhu, Me(D’On Coofer), and Warner Lamar (Left to Right)



Macintosh HD:Users:sheenacoofer:Downloads:IMG_2664.JPG







        The first day was great. My host family, the Naranjos, kept this day relatively simple because we arrived fairly late the night before due to  a flight delay.  The next morning we work up close to 11 o’clock or noon. We ate breakfast which was so very good. I quickly learned that breakfast typically consisted of  four  main things: a type of cheese, a meat, bread, and fruit. I was introduced to Colombian food very quickly and fell in love with it.  Breakfast was followed by a daily weekly bike/walk/run/any exercise one wished to do. It was amazing  to see the number of  people in the streets to the point that some streets were blocked off for these activities. Once we returned to the house, we took showers before going to eat. We went to a famous Colombian barbecue/grill restaurant which served its food for groups to eat together. Throughout my experience immersed in culture, language, and more, I bonded heavily with many people there including my host family, now friends from Colegio Claustro Moderno, and the family of my host family. Everyone whom I met in Bogota was very loving and opened his/her hearts up with great care.
Macintosh HD:Users:sheenacoofer:Downloads:IMG_2665.JPG

My first day at Colegio Claustro Moderno had its differences or things I just was not used to. Instead of driving to school everyday, we rode the bus which was my first time riding the bus. When we arrived to school, I was first  amazed by the views from the school yard. The views were so beautiful that  I knew that it was not the end, but only the beginning of what this magnificient  and marvelous city had to offer and show me. I went with my host brother, Juan Diego Naranjo Bulla, to all of his classes. In the classroom, the atmosphere was much more laid back which was different because I was used to  MBA rules. We also did not attend every class every day. We were on a block schedule like a lot of public high schools in Nashville, TN or surrounding areas. Playing soccer during our 3 breaks each day was very popular among all students. It  became a fun activity which Montgomery, Warner, Andy, and I participated in although our skills were not on the same level of most of the other students there. Yet, we were always included. We did everything in Spanish. We played in Spanish, we studied in class in Spanish, we listened to music in Spanish and anything  else in Spanish. The amount of time I spent speaking in Spanish, I was able to improve my understanding, listening, and speaking skills tremendously.
Macintosh HD:Users:sheenacoofer:Pictures:iPhoto Library:Masters:2015:06:16:20150616-101359:DSC_2660.JPG
Macintosh HD:Users:sheenacoofer:Pictures:iPhoto Library:Masters:2015:06:16:20150616-101359:DSC_2629.JPG
At the top of the mountain on which Colegio Claustro Moderno is.
View of most of the city.
        I was taken on numerous excursions during my stay and loved every last one of them. I was able to go to the Salt Mines which is a Cathedral, Monserrate which also a cathedral, downtown, a famous lagoon, soccer games, and many more. My new favorite Colombian soccer team is the Millionarios after I was able to go with my host brother and his dad to one of the playoff games in Bogota. The atmosphere was very intense because of the players and spectators.
Macintosh HD:Users:sheenacoofer:Downloads:IMG_2721.JPG
Macintosh HD:Users:sheenacoofer:Downloads:IMG_2730.JPG

The language immersion  experience has greatly enhanced my acquisition of the Spanish culture that includes language, music, food, sports, art, relationships etc. . As a result I am extremely grateful that I had the opportunity to travel abroad to Bogota,Columbia in South America. I experienced first hand what some have only been able to read about or watch on the television.  . Without you, your desire and willingness to help others and your generosity none of this would have been possible. You have directly and positively impacted my life greatly and made a change that will last a lifetime. To the Wilson family, Sr. Paolicchi, and  everyone who were able to make this possible, many heart-felt thanks go to you. You have changed my life for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment