Sunday, September 11, 2011

Paul Brazil, Prague

Czech Republic - Prauge and Cesky Krumlov

My month abroad ended in the Czech Republic, where I visited both Prague and Cesky Krumlov, a beatiful town in Southern Bohemia, known for its castle. Arriving in Prague off a bus from Nuernburg, I was immediately stunned with the beauty of the city around me. It seemed as if every building was centuries old, yet somehow extremely well preserved. My astonishment only grew upon my arrival in the Old Town Square, which once served as a market in the long history of Prague.
A view of a portion of the Old Town Square

Throughout my time in Prague we were allowed to explore the city in small groups, and we ate exceptionally well in many restaurants serving traditional Czech cuisine. Czech cuisine usually consists of a massive slab of meat fresh off the grill with a side of potatoes, which was refreshing after the constant onslaught of cold cuts in Germany. After seeing the sights in Prague for a few days, I traveled south toward Cesky Krumlov, a beautiful region in southern Bohemia with a large castle.

A view of the castle from below

In addition to a castle, Cesky Krumlov had a number of interesting shops and cafes, which were a treat to explore. Using the crown for currency took some adjustment, but after getting used to holding a 1000 crown bill and doing some conversions, confusion was avoided. I enjoyed getting to see the strong national culture that the Czechs have, and it proved to be an amazing experience.

I would again like to thank the Wilsons for their generosity in funding this trip; it was a great opportunity that I will never forget.

Paul Brazil

No comments:

Post a Comment