Sunday, August 14, 2011

Journey into Paradise: Jake Macey


The first group shot at Air France. These people were like my family for the next month in Spain. Each had there own opinions, lifestyles, interests- something that added variety to our Spanish "family."




My journey began at 4am rushing to make a flight in the early morning at the Nashville airport. Arriving in New York, we (Mark Lowe and I) realized that we were an hour late after a stalled train to the meeting time in the Air France section of JFK. After finally finding my group we exchanged somewhat awkward greetings and checked our bags and headed to the terminal. EIL clearly allotted a significant amount of time before the flight for us to get to know one another. After endless games of “Big Booty” or “Never Have I Ever,” I felt like I knew my group members better than some friends back home. We finally boarded the plane (first commercial international flight!). I was amazed that one plane could have ten seats in one row. The flight was somewhat comfortable besides the crying baby and snoring men behind me. The plane food was surprisingly delicious (minus the cheese.) In the Paris, airport we had to literally run to our terminal (two people were left including one group leader). In Madrid we met a tour guide named Javier who had a very strong Spanish accent. A short bus ride and we were able to drop our bags in the hotel and run off to get a glimpse of the city. We went to the center point of Madrid and to La Plaza del Sol, the point at which all roads meet.


Capital Hall in Madrid. Just the tip of the iceberg of incredible architecture.


Spanish protesters in la Plaza del Sol. They were protesting for better rights and wages.


The very center of Madrid. Myself and four other group members were doing a scavenger hunt in the city when we found this landmark.



Futbol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Next, we journeyed to the ancient city of Toledo- a city where multiple cultures and religions have been intertwined. Here Aniol, an incredible tour guide, helped to show us all of the sites. Along with miscellaneous scavenger hunts, we had a great time touring the city. We also met teenagers from Morocco in Toledo who stayed with us for the three days. We played different games, had a water balloon fight, and then went on a night tour.



Waking early the next morning, we journeyed to Jerez de la Frontera via speed train. With the butterflies flying in all of our stomachs, we arrived to see a huge crowd of families waiting for our arrival. As I got off the train my host mom yelled YAKE (they did not pronounce the J, ever) and my family came to greet me with hugs and kisses. After a few goodbyes to my group, we piled into their car and we were off to Arcos de la Frontera- the town where my family lived. Arcos as built upon a mountain cliff overlooking a river and farmland- a true beauty with its many white houses. My host father was a photographer, insurance agent, as well as a farmer. He taught me just about everything there is to know about each- all in Spanish. Besides “hello” and “what’s up,” no one in my family knew how to speak English. My fifteen year-old host brother was a trendy, popular guy who was really fun to hang out with. My host sister was nineteen and worked most of the day but went out with us a few of the nights. On the way to their house, I was telling them how much I loved the ham sandwiches in Spain and they stopped and bought an entire pigs leg for the next 12 days I was staying with them.



Within the first few hours I had already met some chicas guapas friends of my host brother. The house turned out to be very comfortable and in a great location. After a huge dinner, I was off to bed to tour Arcos with my group in the morning. In the morning we did a quick tour of Arcos and then I went to the pool with my host brother- taking along a backpack full of bocadillas and juice. I spoke Spanish with many of his friends and got to know several girls. That afternoon my dad took me to his farm and I helped weed the tomato beds and pick HUGE figs to make jam the next morning with my host mom. As far as understanding the Spanish, my host family spoke very, very fast. At first I could barely understand; but as the days went on, I was able to understand most everything and communicate well with them. They understood my challenge and often would speak much slower with me and would enunciate words more deliberately. Most of my host brother (Alfredo)’s friends found my accent hilarious and would make me repeat different words and laugh, all in good fun. A few days later my group traveled to Jerez and went to the beach. I bought a very skimpy bathing suit to show off my incredible pale “guy- thighs.” We also visited a winery in which there were hundreds of barrels of wine. That night, I went out with my brother to “el via” We watched Spanish dancers and chilled with his friends. Each day consisted of waking up at about 11, eating toast and speaking with my host mom, usually playing games or going to a country-club type place, going out with teenagers, and eating delicious food. In the morning, my host mom would give me Spanish lessons. She also gave me different cooking lessons and recipes which I have cooked here at home. Sometimes I would play a new sport called Padel with my host father- something he enjoyed playing and teaching me. Another highlight of the trip was going to the lake of Arcos one day and going canoeing. I usually brought tons of fruit and sandwiches on these types of outings since the fruit in Spain is soooo much better than USA. A day trip to Cadiz was also part of the agenda. Late at night, I would watch crime shows with my dad like CSI, all in Spanish.



Had to wake up at 6am to leave my last day. It sure was hard leaving. These people had become just like my family at home and had given me the best immersion experience that I could have asked for. They had given me advice on life, money, everything!



After tears, hugs, kisses, and goodbyes, we boarded the train and went on our way to do community service in Zaragoza. Each day, we would walk to the Red Cross facility, and stay from 10 until 5 working with under privileged children to help them with activities, homework, and games. The children quickly became attached to us. Afterwards, we would all rush to the fruit shop and buy handfuls of peaches, nectarines, and all sorts of fresh fruit for little money. Night time usually consisted of hanging out in the hotel or walking around shopping.



With the trip coming to a close, we departed for Barcelona where my four guy friends in our group were able to stay in a very nice apartment building in prime location. We went out and bought supplies to make feasts for every meal. In Barcelona we saw all of the different churches, sites, etc. The highlight was going to La Sagrada Familia- The Cathedral of Barcelona designed by Gaudi himself. While still under construction, we were able to see one of the biggest, and most impressive buildings I have ever seen. We saw all of Gaudi’s other work. We also went to the market in Barcelona where we bought some of the freshest seafood, fruit, and meat for a feast in the girls apartment. With my leaders help we probably had one of the best meals ever.
This trip has made me fall in love with Spain and the Spanish language. Being able to communicate with someone from a different country like I did has also been my dream in the classroom. I look back on this trip with some of the best memories and hope to definitely revisit Spain in the future. I would like to thank the Wilson Family for this amazing experience as well as my Spanish teachers (Lanigan and Paolicchi), Mr. Gaither, and everyone else who made this trip possible. The journey is just beginning.


No comments:

Post a Comment