Sunday, August 14, 2011

Das Alles Ist Braunschweig- Week 3 (6/30/11-7/6/11): Chris Habermann

My third and final week in Germany was also great. On Thursday, I did not do very much; I went to school and then watched TV and played video games with Fabian. On Friday, we went into the Harz Mountains. First we explored a Gold- and Silver-mine there. It was very dark, damp, and small (see the picture on the left). I am glad that they gave us hardhats, because I hit my head multiple times. Down there, we heard many stories of the hardships of mining in the Middle Ages before the use of machinery. I tried using a hammer and chisel, but I couldn't get any work done. On the way out, however, I was given a chunk of silver ore. Then we took a lift to the top of the tallest mountain there. The view was amazing! Then we went to the town of Gossler, known for its witches.

On Saturday, I went with Fabian to the airport to wish him well on his trip to England and say goodbye. Then I said goodbye to my host family, who was going on vacation to France, and moved in with a new host family, Familie Struss, who was already hosting another American. On Sunday, I went with them to the Phaeno, a very hands on science museum in Wolfsburg. I had a lot of fun there, especially in the tilted (see picture on the right) and rotating houses. On Monday, we started school off normally, but that night we had our Goodbye Party. We brought American food and decorations (I brought American flags, a Tennessee flag, an American map, a Tennessee map, and a Nashville map) and provided the entertainment. Along with many thank you speeches, we performed a skit based on our difficult first day of traveling, we sang "Das Alles Ist Braunschweig" (a song we made up with similar lyrics and melody to "Das Alles Ist
Deutschland"), sang the "Star Spangled Banner," gave flowers to our host families, and lit sparklers because it was the Fourth of July. On Tuesday, instead of school we went into the city and did some last minute souvenir shopping. Then we went bowling (see picture on the left). I had a lot of fun! On Wednesday, after several sad goodbyes, we got onto our bus and went to the airport. Thankfully the trip back went much more smoothly than the trip there. Though I am sad that I had to leave. The trip was amazing and easily the best part of my summer. I would like to thank the Wilson family for the opportunity which they gave me! I had a blast, learned a lot, and met some really great people with whom I became great friends. Even though I am sad that the trip had to end, I am so happy that I was able to go on the trip in the first place. And for that I would like to say "Vielen Dank," which means many thanks in German.

No comments:

Post a Comment