Saturday, July 23, 2011

Ostia Antica and On-Campus Day: Kevin Wang





Group picture on top of Monte Cavo





Day 8- July 22

This morning, we first headed to Monte Cavo, a mountain overlooking the Roman countryside. We took our group picture for the trip there. It was used as a military base in World War II. We then drove to Ostia, the famous port city of Rome. The bus was dead silent; everyone was sleeping. When we arrived at Ostia Antica (Antique Ostia), we all had sack lunches and were left free to roam in the ruins of the formerly magnificent city. But its demise was also caused by the reusing of its structures’ materials in the construction of Pisa. Well, at least the Romans were trying to be environmentalists... I walked around with a friend, Dakota Pekerti, and saw the House of Cupid and Psyche, the Capitolium, the Temple of Diana, and the Theater, a few of the many ancient buildings in the city.




Me in front of the Capitolium




While walking around, I found that I had many similarities. We both only talk when necessary, are both deep thinkers and enjoy meaningful and personal conversations, and both LOVE anime. He introduced me to an anime show, Gurren Lagann. We rendezvoused with the other students at a “Gelateria” (Gelato shop) and souvenir shop, where I bought souvenirs for my family. We then headed to the “uscita” (exit) to get back on the bus.

At the campus, I practiced an hour of piano and had a grammar session on subjunctives again, which we will be tested on tomorrow. I went to the translation lecture, where the topic of “Who would you want to travel back in time to see?” came up. I said Jesus, Moses, or Noah of the Ark. If not a religious figure of yore, I would want to see what happened to the Roanoke colonists or to be with Columbus as he explored the foreign Americas... My top pick would have to be Jesus, though.


Day 9- July 23

We stayed at the campus today. I practiced piano in the morning, and then went to a morning lecture on translation. In the afternoon, I studied for a subjunctives quiz, which I just now learned that I got a 32/28 on.

After I had dinner, I went to a lecture on translation, and then I played ping-ping and jazzed with Aman Grewal, who plays jazz piano, and Dakota, playing “Cantaloupe Island.” It was the first jazz piece I had ever played, and the improvisatory nature of jazz is so different and challenging to me, since I’ve been trained to play by the music.




Campus




I’ve also forgotten to mention some works we’ve been studying; the most important part! We’ve read Suetonius’ Murder of Caesar, Livy’s Murder of Cicero, Suetonius’ Murders by Octavian, Tacitus’ Annals 1.1, Pliny’s Epistle VI, 16, and now I am reading Epistle VI, 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment