Monday, July 25, 2011

Naples vacation Day 1- Vesuvius: Kevin Wang

Day 11 - July 25

Departure for Naples! I woke up late today by accident and thus had very little time to pack, and no time for breakfast. I got on the bus just in time, though. When we stopped for a restroom break, I bought two packs of “Cipster” chips, little foamy dome-shaped chips, which were on sale for 2.20 euros for the 2 packs combined. I shared some with my fellow classmates on the bus.

The first thing we did when we got to Naples was hike Mt. Vesuvius. The bus took us halfway up, and then we made a strenuous hike up to the top, where I got to see the crater and a beautiful view of the bay of Naples.




Dakota, me, and Sebastian on top of Vesuvius




After a hour-long 45° angle hike, we headed to a nice restaurant for lunch. I had Gnocchi pasta, the best pasta that has ever touched my mouth, and a mozzarella/tomato salad, which tasted SO much better than I had assumed.



Gnocchi pasta



After the amazing lunch, we headed to the House of Oplontis, a lavish resort that harbored many intact mosaics, an insight into an ancient villa, and a gigantic swimming pool. The toilet was also very interesting to see. Apparently, the ancient Italians sat in a circular formation while using the toilet.

We finally arrived at the hotel after departing Oplontis, the Hotel Leone. At first, we all got excited that we would be staying in Hilton, since the bus parked right in front of the Hilton Hotel sign beside Leone, but reality soon struck us...

We had dinner at the hotel, then headed to the Sorrento town center for some nighttime roaming and shopping. I had only one euro and 80 cents left, so I didn’t buy anything. However, I had a lot of fun seeing all the street-side Italian shoppes. It gave me a very European feeling.



Sorrento street





Today I realized that I only have a week and a half left. Half of my time in Rome has been exhausted... Three weeks really isn’t enough time to soak in Italy and its culture. *Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment