Sunday, September 19, 2010





The ecstasy of St. Teresa



















The Pantheon













Kids playing soccer in the Circus Maximus






I used my Wilson Language Grant to study in Rome for three weeks in a collaborative program between Brown University and St. Stephen's School. I was with 34 other teenagers from around the world, including Jack Whitson, who won the other Latin grant. We stayed on St. Stephen's campus in the middle of Rome, just a short walk away from the Circus Maximus and the Colosseum.
Most of our time during the weekdays was spent in class. I took Italian I, Music History, and Italian Art and Architecture: Renaissance through the Baroque. Though Italian and Music History were both useful and enjoyable, my art history course was one of the best classes I have ever taken. I've always appreciated art, but this course truly ignited my passion for art in a way that I'd never before believed possible. Being in Rome obviously allowed for a much more in depth, personal examination of the great Italian works. One of the experiences that stands out most in my mind was one of the first days of class, when our teacher took us into a nondescript church and showed us a Michelangelo statue standing in a corner. The fact that we could simply go into a virtually deserted church and walk right up to a Michelangelo truly demonstrated to me how Rome is saturated with great works of art, and that one can essentially stumble upon a masterpiece just off the beaten path. The Borghese gallery was also awe inspiring, particularly the Bernini sculptures "Apollo and Daphne" and "The Rape of Proserpina". In fact, my teacher said that in his opinion the most beautiful sight in all of Rome is Pluto's hand grasping Proserpina's thigh.
When we weren't in class, we were either working on our homework, hanging out with our friends, or taking part in the nightly activities the interns organized. Whether it was a walk along the Tiber or a shopping trip in the Piazza Navona, there was always something to keep us busy. Some notable night activities were seeing "Aida" performed at the Baths of Caracalla, and Erykah Badu concert, and going to tango and jazz concerts. On the weekends we took trips to Sorrento and Florence, with stops in Naples, Pompeii, and Siena. I particularly enjoyed the Uffizi in Florence, especially since they were featuring an exhibit on Caravaggio, whose work I had recently fallen in love with.
My time in Rome was truly the best three weeks I've ever had, and I want to thank Mr. Gioia, Dr. Seay, Dr. Gaffney, Mr. Gaither, and most of all the Wilson family for giving me the opportunity to have this wonderful experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment